ICT & climate change

EIF Breakfast Debate


This breakfast discussion focussed on how the ICT sector can contribute to “greening” the economy and tackling climate change.

It is gradually acknowledged that Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) can make a critical contribution to the fight against climate change. Beyond the ongoing efforts of the ICT sector to lower its own share of responsibility below the current 2% of global CO2 emissions, intelligent and innovative ICT solutions can help lower the other 98%.

For instance, ICTs can be used to optimise logistics and supply chain management, monitor and measure environmental indicators, support business intelligence analyses and forecasting to enable informed policy-decision making, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, raise awareness and inform consumers about their “environmental footprint”.

Following views by distinguished speakers, some of these ICT applications were also showcased with live demos.

Programme - 17/09/2009


Pilar del Castillo, MEP and EIF Governor


Nancy Kontou, Head of Cabinet, DG Environment, European Commission

Mikael Hagström, Executive Vice President EMEA & Asia Pacific at SAS

Demos Google: Google Earth Climate Change


Download programme


This website uses cookies to improve your experience on this site. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the site to operate. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

I accept cookies from this site.