Group of the European People's Party (Christian Democrats)
Member: Committee on Regional Development; Delegation for relations with Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo
Substitute: Committee on Budgets; Committee on Budgetary Control; Delegation for relations with the United States
- Doctorate in sociology, Jagiellonian University (1984).
- Lecturer: University of Silesia (1979-1990), Jagiellonian University (1985-1989), University of Bielsko-Biala (2002-2004); University of Economics in Katowice (2002-2004).) Traineeship at the École des hautes études en sciences sociales, Paris (1988-1989).
- Mayor of Cieszyn (1990-1998). Member of Cieszyn Council (1990-1998).
- Member of the Slaskie Provincial Assembly (1998-2004).
- Leader of the Slaskie Provincial Executive (1998-2002).
- Chairman of the Policy Council of the Solidarity Electoral Action (AWS) Social Movement (2002-2004). Member of the Civic Platform (PO) National Council (since 2004).
- Member of the Political Bureau of the European People's Party - European Democrats (2006-2009).
- MEP (2004-2009 and 2009-2014), member of the Bureau of the Group of the European People's Party in the EP (since 2006); Vice-Chairman of the Polish delegation to the EPP Group in the EP; Vice-Chairman of the EPP Group's Budget and Structural Policies Working Group; Vice-Chairman of the Committee on Regional Development (2004-2009), founder member and Chairman of the URBAN Intergroup.
- Chairman of the European Ideas Network's Values and Freedoms Working Party; member of the Board of the EPP Robert Schuman Foundation for closer cooperation between Christian Democrats in Europe.
- Vice-Chairman of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR) (1995-2001). Head of the Polish delegation to the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe (1990-1998). Member of the Bureau of the Assembly of European Regions (ARE) (2000-2004).
- Member of the National Regional Policy Council (2000-2004). Member of the Committee for National Spatial Planning, Polish Academy of Sciences (2003-2008).
- Knight's Cross of the Order of Poland Reborn (2000). Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite (2002); Emperor Maximilian award for contribution to European local and regional politics (2005); Golden Ribbon of the Association of Polish Towns - honorary award for outstanding services to local government (2007); MEP of the Year 2007 - awarded by The Parliament Magazine in the Regional Policy category; Winner of the Silesian Quality Award (2007); Honorary Silesian of the Year (2008); Hungarian Government István Pálfi award for special contribution to closer regional cooperation (2010).