On 12 October 2021, EIF organised the virtual debate “Protecting and empowering children and young people online”, co-hosted by MEPs Ivan Štefanec and Liesje Schreinemacher.
Five experts joined the debate, moderated by EIF Director General Maria Rosa Gibellini, to discuss how to make the online world fitter for children and which legal instruments are in place or needed in order to ensure that children are protected and empowered online:
- June Lowery-Kingston, Head of Unit, Accessibility, Multilingualism & Safer Internet, and Deputy to the Director for Data at DG CONNECT, European Commission
- Christopher Payne, Director of Digital Responsibility, Government and Public Affairs, at the LEGO Group
- Charlotte Niklasson, Director of European Affairs at Nordvision
- Alexandra Evans, Head of Safety Public Policy, Europe at TikTok
- Leanda Barrington-Leach, Head of EU Affairs at 5Rights